One of the most popular strength training exercises for the beginner bodybuilder is the bent-over barbell row. This effective back muscle building workout is perfect for those looking to gain muscle mass and increase their strength. The best part is you don’t need expensive equipment, and you can do this workout from home.
How To Do A Bent-Over Barbell Row
- Hold onto a barbell with palms facing down as you securely grip the bar.
- Bend your knees a little and tilt your torso forward.
- Bend at the waist and keep your back aligned until it is just about on a parallel level with the floor.
- It is important to remember to keep your head upward.
- The bar should hang immediately in front of you as your arms swing perpendicular to the mat and your back. This is known as your direct starting position.
- At this point, with your back still, exhale and move the bar towards you.
- Keeping your elbows close to your body, use your forearms to grip the weight.
- When it is at the top or contracted, clench the back muscles and hold for a moment.
- On the inhale, lower the bar back to your start position.
This is one full exercise. Repeat for as many repetitions that you have been recommended to perform.
Which Are Muscles Worked?
Since this exercise is a compound exercise and it uses free weights, it works a variety of muscle groups. It mostly targets the back, but if you pull the bar higher to the chest, it works the upper back more than the lower. If you pull it to your waist, it will work your mid-back instead of the upper.
This type of bodybuilding exercise helps you to build a strong back, reinforces proper hip flexion, and can also carry over to other areas of your body. Bent-over rows strengthen your ability to perform them with the core strength of your back because it is an essential core exercise. It works out the entire body so it will stabilize your whole body and shape your shoulders.
Bent-Over Row Workout Tips
- For those individuals who are healthy, have gotten a physician’s approval and have a good back, a proper form that doesn’t include slouching forward is best to prevent injury to your back or body.
- Always begin with lesser weights. If after a few exercises you feel that it is too little you can always add more weights.
- Variation: There is another way to perform this exercise that has your palms facing towards you that can be tried for a variation on the above guide.
- This exercise is a great place to start as a beginner because it is a basic strength training exercise that is at the core of beginning your journey into bodybuilding.
- You will want to start slow with a minimum amount of repetitions until your body gets used to the workout.
- Working with a person who is knowledgeable in bodybuilding can spot and instruct you about the positioning of your body, which is the most important for safety and preventing injuries.
There is a cautionary note with this to consult a physician before starting any exercise regimen, and if you have a back problem, then you might want to try a different bodybuilding exercise.
Benefits Of Strength Supplements
Combining strength building supplements with your dedicated workout routine can help you achieve results faster. All-natural supplements that contain ingredients such as DHEA, L-Carnitine, Wild Yam Root, and Whey Protein can help boost your energy for longer workouts. You can find all of these premium ingredients and more beneficial supplements within the CrazyMass Strength Stack. These all-natural muscle building supplements have been used for years and have helped thousands of bodybuilders achieve their dream bodies.